Rev. Douglas McPheeters
273 S. Old Middletown Rd.
Media, PA 19063
• Jesus is Lord
• Vision empowers Mission
• Prayer is central
• Build Disciples who Worship, Grow and Serve
• Involve people in Mission using gifts and passions
• Work together as a Team
• Offer diversity of worship styles
• Live as Presbyterian and Reformed believers
Middletown Presbyterian Church is the oldest Presbyterian Church in
Delaware County. It dates back to the early 1720’s, when “dissenters”
began meeting, probably first in homes, and then built a log church.
George Whitfield, the evangelist of the First Great Awakening,
preached here in 1741.
John Tennant, son of the founder of the Log College, came as supply
Pastor in 1729. The first installed Pastor was the Rev. Robert Cathcart,
who served from 1730-1740. During his tenure, Dr. Isaac Watts
presented the congregation with an inscribed copy of his hymns and
Baxter’s Christian Directory.
In 1766, they built the stone church, whose walls still stand. A fire
destroyed the interior in 1879, and it was rebuilt in the style of the
times. Until that time, there was a high pulpit, box pews, and the
entrance was probably on the south side, facing present Old
In 1923 a new sanctuary was built. The original church was used for
Sunday School. In the 1950’s, a Sunday School wing was added on the
other side of the original church. In 1966, the sanctuary was doubled in
size and the tower and administration wing were added. Projects to
update our sanctuary, add an elevator and renovate office spaces
and Fellowship Hall were completed in 2011 and 2013.
The graves in our cemetery go back to the very beginning of the
church. Among the notables buried there is Persifor Frazer, a Brigadier
General in the Revolutionary War, and his wife, Mary Frazer.
Middletown Presbyterian Church-History of Delaware County, PA
By Henry Graham Ashmead (1884)
Middletown Presbyterian Church 200th Anniversary (1920)
and 225th Anniversary (1945) Commemmorative History
Middletown Presbyterian Church 250th Anniversary -
Delaware County Daily Times (1970)